We showcased the talent of our staff at a glittering awards evening, on Thursday 11 May at the Hilton Hotel in Watford, Hertfordshire.
All 32 of the shortlisted nominees, and those who nominated them, attended the glittering Gala Dinner and Awards Ceremony. The event was hosted by Dr David Bull, a medical doctor and award-winning TV host, who expressed his passion for ensuring children are offered nutritionally balanced school meals to ensure their health and vitality.
The 10 category awards, all sponsored by our valued suppliers, were presented to those who had provided high quality services and showed initiative, innovation and creativity in their role.
The awards were presented to HCL catering teams, contract managers and mobile workers by the award sponsors, along with HCL’s Chairman and Chief Executive. Long Service Awards were also presented during the evening.
Lin O’Brien, Chief Executive of HCL and a member of this year’s judging panel, said: “Congratulations to all our winners. I’d like to thank everyone for their commitment and dedication. I’d also like to thank those who took the time to nominate the many shining stars we have in our workforce, making HCL such an inspiring company to be involved with.”
The spectacular HCL awards event celebrates the dedication, innovation, passion, ambition, enthusiasm, professionalism and skill within HCL’s workforce. Around 100 nominations flooded in from headteachers, business managers, and HCL management in recognition of the outstanding performance and contribution to the organisation individual colleagues and teams of HCL staff have made.
Lin added: “Our staff are our greatest asset; they have great passion for what they do and have a huge commitment to the schools they work with. Our awards ceremony is just one of the ways we celebrate them and the outstanding contribution they make.”
A vital component of retaining the best people is providing them with good training. HCL provides all staff with tailored development programmes that are regularly reviewed and refreshed. This approach has ensured that HCL has developed a loyal team of individuals who have the specific skills and knowledge to deliver the outstanding quality of service that is celebrated by nomination for an award.
Award winners included:
- Primary School / Academy Catering Team of the Year (below 200 meals a day) sponsored by McCain Foodservice – Forres Primary School
- Primary School / Academy Catering Team of the Year (above 200 meals a day) sponsored by The UK Foodhall – Howe Dell Primary School
- Special Education Schools Catering Team of the Year sponsored by Premier Foodservice – Garston Manor School
- Secondary School/Academy/Commercial Catering Team of the Year sponsored by Quorn Foods – Thomas Alleyne School
- Secondary School/Academy/Commercial Catering Team of the Year (+900) sponsored by Hobart UK – Stanborough School
- Delivering Service Excellence sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions – Applecroft School
- HCL Manager of the Year sponsored by Histons Produce Ltd – Lois Barry
- Specialist Category Award sponsored by Green Gourmet – Jean Potter
- Mobile Workforce Award sponsored by Bidvest Foodservice – Jean Brown
- Innovation Award (Individual or Team) sponsored by W. V. Howe Ltd. – HCL Training Team